Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Struggles of a Scientist

Being a physicist seems pretty glamorous, examining the universe at its core, working with exotic machinery, and of course the accolades that come with discovering a previously unknown to humanity secret of the cosmos. It isn't all it seems to be though, we still have to deal with the hardships that come with living life. For me, life has had some pretty difficult mountains to climb before embarking on my great journey, along with countless others my age; attending university.

This summer hasn't exactly been an easy one for this particular scientist. First, only about 2 weeks after graduating high school, I broke my collar bone biking and was out of commission for about 5 weeks, restricted to my couch from the pain. Even worse than the pain was the boredom. It was not too much fun being stuck inside for the beautiful days of Canadian summer while my friends were out enjoying themselves doing all the things teenagers do. Luckily, I have made a full recovery and my collar bone and I seem ready to take on Waterloo.

Hold on a second, when is life ever that easy? Just as I thought I had escaped the prison that was my basement, something threw me back in. Now, only a week before I'm supposed to move into my new home, I get blood work and receive the FANtastic news that I have mono, which if you haven't had it is just tons of fun. Im being sarcastic of course as once again, I have been bed ridden for another week and now, only days before going away am just overcoming the virus, but I am not out of the woods yet. For the next couple weeks, I'll be constantly feeling exhausted and I have to take it pretty slow, but in the name of science, I'm hopeful I'll have made a full recovery by the time our first classes roll around. I know it sounds pretty horrible, but don't worry its not contagious except through saliva and I don't expect to be kissing too many of my classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment